Monday, December 10, 2012

Amanuensis Monday - JC Hawver's 1878 Diary - March

More from the 1878 diary of JC Hawver. Here are his entries from March:

3-2 How glad I am to be home with Lutie and here in bed waiting for her to come. She is taking her bath, I have just had mine.

3-3 Tom threw me off this morning, he took objection to the belly band of the saddle bags. Nobody hurt more than a frightening.

3-4 Mother commences her 54th year today so I stay to take breakfast at home in which there were 18 Robins (she had 19 children but only 8 survived). I bought Mother my present, really one she needed, a set of glass ware. This day passed pleasured indeed.

3-7 This evening Lutie and I attended N Bloomfield Lodge. We had a very pleasant meeting with the members and witnessed an initiation also heard a very enlightened remarks made by Bro. Richard Jones.

3-10 Tried to be Luties beau in the afternoon taking her to see the air compressor and Burley drill in the MBGM Co. Tunnel at shaft #7, it is a complicated machine making ____ feet per month.

3-11 Moved my engine and things down to Edwards Hotel so that I might keep Lutie company while I have work to do and as I was expecting to get to clean Katies teeth, but she went to school in the afternoon we arrived to avoid having them cleaned (her mother is an Irish man you can bet the world). The Double Shaft struck blue gravel last night.

3-12 Had callers and Lutie and I visit a woman with three children.

3-16 Lutie went down in the Stage and I rode Tom down home though we both walked from the west edge of the turning of the Stage Road. Lutie was up with me for 11 days and our bill was $5.50.

3-20 How good it is to arrive home where everything is cherished, pleasant and comfortable.

3-21 It seemed harder than ever to leave Lutie and start for Humbug to work.

3-28 I left N. Bloomfield this morning with the purpose of going to spend another week with Dr. Leonard, have him fill my teeth and see him perform more plate work. But when I got home I did not get off in time for the Stage so here I am at home with Lutie.


Lutie = Lucretia, JC's wife
Stasia = Anastasia Hawver, JC's sister
Tom = JC's horse
Dr. JC Leonard = JC's teacher of dentistry

No comments:

Post a Comment